May 21, 2011

SHRUG "Septober Octember No Wonder" (UK, 1989)


Formed in 1985 in Middlesbrough by Robert Nichols and Richard PinkSHRUG have been mainly a live band known for their unsual gigs with three drummers, funny costumes, masks... Their first releases were the 12'' "Neville Wanless EP" (1988) , and the album "Septober, Octember, NoWonder" (1989). In 90's they recorded only some singles, but the band remained active and recently a new EP "Shrug... In A Quango" (2008) appeared. SHRUG's music combines the sharp punk/post punk attitude with garage influences; the social descriptions with strange lyrics and  psych-inspired themes.

Septober Octember No Wonder   

7 comments:

nairobiny said...

I was lucky enough to see Shrug's extraordinary live performance just once - I think it was Upstairs at the Garage in the mid 90s. I don't know what possessed me to search for them (which led me here) but I'm sure glad I did. Thanks!

paramo said...

Thanks for your comment, nairobiny.SHRUG'S songs worth the trouble.Perhaps are crazy performed live, but certainly have plenty esoteric qualities.

dee_seejay said...

ta

Oli said...

Ha! I play guitar in Shrug! We are very much still going. Nice to see people still care! hehe. Greetings from Middlesbrough. Oli x

dee_seejay said...

Oli - great to meet you! Any info on your current/future plans?
I've been listening to the album...love it ;)

Oli said...

Hi! We released a split 7" with The Bent Moustache last year and did a tour of Holland to promote it. We are currently working on material for a new EP and are playing gigs here and there! We still play a few songs from this LP now and then! There are some good clips on YouTube! I am also currently working on a Shrug archive on the internet which will eventually feature EVERY Shrug recording (Once I track them all down!)

Виброопора said...

Интересно